Skip to main content

Perks of being single


Image credit: Colipera
"I’m single because I was born that way.”  - Anon.

I somehow managed to avoid marriage all these years. There was huge pressure from my parents to get married and settled. It is still there. My close friends knew that I am gay and so they don't yell, but distant friends used to question me why I am staying single. Well, I cannot say to them that I am gay, so I used to say I am commitment phobic, not interested in kids and the usual cliche excuses. I will also add that I am enjoying my freedom right now and when the right time comes, when I feel the need for a marriage,  I will do that. No body believes that though, they will conclude that I am having some reproductive problem. I never bothered to correct. Alas! it is a reproductive problem indeed.  Such a small difference with a profoundly huge impact. If I put a beard, people will think that I am depressed and the reason of that depression is not getting some girl to marry. The truth is I enjoy being single.


So, is staying as a singleton, all that bad? Not really, it has some unique perks,
  • better workability (bachelors make promising employees and totally career driven)
  • independence, freedom and turning more creativity
  • can be more social and can maintain friendships (no complications and possessiveness issues)
  • pretty simple money matters - more spending and less saving!!
  • traveling becomes easy and spontaneous (less luggage and bon voyage)
  • more self confidence (tackling problems "all alone" raises the endurance to new levels)
  • less personal responsibilities and burden (no kids and family chores).
  • easy decision making (as no need to indulge in a discussion on every nitty-gritty of life)
  • can spend more time with your parents and give more care to them.
  • lots and lots of "me" time (but using it creatively is a different issue and a difficult task)
  • stay fit and healthy (more gym outings and superbly evolved culinary skills)
  • no need to change your habits, better sleep and no invasion of personal space (gosh, I love my room and my bed, all alone)
  • many datings, sexcapades and multitude of sexual partners (consequences are there, of course!). 
  • no melodrama, painful breakups and emotional hurricanes
  • finally you think about a lot of things..profound introspection, overtly philosophical, a path to enlightenment :) 



And also there are many problems too,
  • you fail to recognize the purpose of your life and this thought can lead to depression
  • scientific evidence shows that single people are more prone to depression, cardiac problems and other serious health problems than married counter parts (34 % more prone to premature death)(alarming rate, isn't it? but these are all statistics, so don't worry much :)
  • research also shows that health benefits of marriage is not a hard and fast rule; if it is not a happy marriage, then it could have been better if stayed single. Divorced men are more or less good for nothing unlike women who performs well after recovering from a difficult marriage..
  • you will be treated as an outcast and even considered perverse especially in traditional/orthodox societal circles.
  • disaster if you fall ill and physically dependent on others
 You always have options for not feeling lonely,
  • you should gather good friends who can be trusted and will stand up for you
  • connect with other decent  single people via social networks or chat sites
  • you can have a pet dog or any animal, who will provide you with "unconditional love"
  • cultivate positive thoughts and indulge in your hobbies
  • books can act as wonderful companions.
Image courtesy: Jamendo
This is what I could come up with being a single man for quite some time. Some of the above points are debatable and strictly my personal opinions. I expect a barrage of disagreements from your part on this topic. Storm your brain and post your comments. Merci!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaw dropping National Dance Team from Georgia - Sukhisvili

Dance is a celebration of human spirit; it can inflict happiness, sadness or for that matter, any emotion. With the help of right music, dance can act as a powerful weapon to bring out change in people. Dance is a liberating experience and we can see that in a dancer's face. Dance may be simple or complex, performed singly, as duo or in groups. There are multitudes of dance forms, prevalent in different countries with varied rules and regulations or sometimes without any rules too. Irrespective of all these, dance forms cross barriers and geographical boundaries, it will carry you away even if you don't know the language or the rules. That is the charm of dance. An adept dancer transforms into you; in your mind, you replaces him with yourself. It feels like you are dancing there.


I recently stumbled upon this wonderful, jaw dropping rehearsal performance by Georgian National Ballet team (Sukhishvili). There are many videos of their performances in Youtube. All of them are won…

Indian Gay Friendly Heterosexual Celebrities - Part 1

Pink paintings - Part 1

There is a big list of gay artists. Somehow being gay and being a painter is so connected and correlated that many of the great men like Da Vinci, Michael Angelo and Caravaggio give a rich legacy to gay men all around the world. Here are some of the paintings by the masters and contemporary artists with a gay theme or male nudity for that matter!!
Micheal Angelo - The magic of gigantic male figures in virtually all possible poses!!




Joseph Christian Leyendecker - Commerical Gay American  art.


Richard Bruce Nugent - The explicit African American gay art pioneer 

Charles Demuth,Distinguished Air, 1930.  

Leonardo Da Vinci - the master of all times


José Manuel Hortelano-Pi - earthy humans


Ralph Chubb - Contemplation,  1925 


Claudio Bravo - hyperrealism


David Hockney - not so straight world